Thursday, May 5, 2016

Diatomacous Earth

Sometimes dust baths aren't enough
Diatomacous Earth has so many applications it is almost a panacea.  Anyone with various critters needs to know about this product--the more critters you have, the more necessary DE is for you.  Even though I am going to preach to you the gospel of DE, I have somehow never actually had to use it myself.  I have, however, recommended DE to several different customers and it has saved their critters, so I know for a fact that this works.

Worms can be a serious problem and DE is a great, cheap wormer.  Worm medicine cannot target all kinds of worms, and you are not supposed to use more than one wormer at a time due to drug interactions.  You can use DE at the same time you use a wormer though and increase your chances of killing the right worms.  Worms can spread quickly and thankfully DE works quickly.  One customer came in talking about a rooster that had several worms and she was worried about the worms spreading to all her other critters.  DE solved that problem quickly.  I told her to put DE in the feed and also rub it into the feathers (like a dust bath) and place it in the bedding.  I could bore you to death with other examples.

DE also works on mites, fleas, and other nasty bugs.  All you have to do is spread the DE on the floor, ground, bedding, whatever, or rub into fur, feathers, whatever, and you are good to go.  It really is that simple.  I cannot say enough good things about DE.

No comments: